Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Polyphemus Moth

Mark is busy writing a paper for his Aramaic class. Therefore, to be a help we have gone to visit family. The boys are having a great time playing outdoors almost all day long. My mother lets them dig holes in her backyard, which she says will one day be a fish pond. I am not sure what it will be, but they are loving it.

Last night we were having dinner at my cousin's house and she showed us a moth that had made its way into her garage and was laying eggs on the cement! It was a beautiful Polyphemus Moth, like the one in the above picture. It was a very bad place to lay eggs (right in the driveway). So, we gently loaded them into a box and hope to see them hatch. I found that the usual host is "A wide variety of trees and shrubs including oak (Quercus), willow (Salix), maple (Acer), and birch (Betula)" I found the information and picture here .

This will be a fun way to tell the story of Odysseus and Polyphemus. I think the moth is much more beautiful than its namesake, don't you?

No comments: