Monday, October 27, 2008

Autumn Tree Study: Outdoor Hour Challenge #36

For our tree study we are looking at two trees. First a white oak which is close to home, actually right outside our kitchen window. We have at least one squirrel that frequents its branches, but we have not noticed a nest. We are also looking at a Cottonwood that is on some land that belongs to family. It is not too far away and we are curious to find out whether it is a male or female. So we drove out to take a look at it today. The interesting thing about this Cottonwood is that there is a group of three growing right up together and they are the only ones on the entire property, which is about 80 acres. So we had a talk today about how did these trees get here? I don't have a picture of the Cottonwoods because my camera batteries decided to die.

The following pictures are of trees we have known before our move.
Although, we attempted our Autumn Tree Study today, I think what I realized is that Autumn has not quite arrived where we live. A few trees have started to change their colors, but for the most part everything is still the same. As I looked through some old pictures (like the one above), I realized that the colors don't really come until mid to late November for us. So, I think we are going to redo todays work in about a month. I forget that all those beautiful pictures I see are from much further north.

Just look at the roots on this Pecan tree! It is really amazing and the boys love climbing inside the hollow trunk. This is one of our favorite trees. It is around 200 years old and the inside is hollow, yet the tree is still living. It is located in the Botanic Gardens where we used to live. We really miss all the beautiful trees from the city.
Here is a close up of the inside of the tree where you can see just how big it is. There is room for the whole family.

2 comments:

Barb said...

I am learning so much about how different areas experience fall at very different times. For some it has already passed, for us we are in the prime, and you are still waiting.

I can't believe the roots on the pecan tree!

Thanks for sharing your tree study thoughts.
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Lovely. I can't wait to see photos of that cottonwood. We've been reading about a cottonwood in The Tree in the Trail, but I've never seen one in real life.