Thursday, February 28, 2008

Homeschool Research/Reading



I really don't remember how we decided to homeschool. It seems like we just always planned on it. Regardless of how we got the idea, we were certain we wanted to do whatever it took to educate our children outside of government schools. When our oldest was just a baby I began to ask homeschooling mothers, "What is your favorite homeschooling book?" In this way I began to read about different methods and models. My goal was to read one book per year. I have found this to be very helpful and I continue this practice even today.





Here is the list that I was given before I began homeschooling (and I think this is the order I read them)-
  1. Better Late Than Early, by Raymond Moore
  2. The Christian Homeschool, by Gregg Harris
  3. The Well-Trained Mind, by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise
  4. Educating the WholeHearted Child, by Clay and Sally Clarkson
  5. Homeschooling for Excellence, by David and Micki Colfax
    Books I have read since beginning to Homeschool:
  6. For the Children's Sake, by Susan Schaeffer MaCauley
  7. Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning, by Douglas Wilson
  8. Home Education, by Charlotte Mason

This has helped to both shape our homeschool and keep me inspired as a home educator.

No comments: